Brazilian Jiu jitsu is a martial art focusing largely on grappling and ground fighting. It utilizes natural body leverage and proper technique to obtain dominant control on the ground and, as a result, provides a greater position for striking or submission holds.
Brazilian Jiu jitsu has been proven, when used properly, to be an effective method for dealing with bigger and stronger opponents and has become increasingly popular due in part to its great success in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. It can be trained for self-defense, competition grappling (gi and no-gi) and mixed martial arts competition and has found its way into the training regiment of nearly every successful martial artist worldwide.
Translated as “gentle art” Brazilian Jiu Jitsu focuses on using strength and technique in the most efficient way possible to control and overcome opponents of greater size, strength, and aggression.
The Six Benefits of Brazilian Jiu jitsu
- Goal Setting – Participating in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu learn how to set goals, the knowledge necessary, and to do the work needed to achieve them. BJJ is a structured program with belts and patches acknowledging personal achievement. Belts display both effort, time, and experience in training. Each belt has tested requirements (skills/knowledge/experience) in order to be promoted to the next belt level. You become aware of the requirements and are encouraged to set goals, and work toward their achievement.
- Confidence – Training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu improves the confidence of people that will carry over into all venues of their lives. Through a series of challenges learn how to approach new situations and successfully navigate them. Challenges are progressive, and graduated, becoming more challenging at each step of the program. This format produces a foundation of self-trust and a willingness to approach challenges. The success which develops produces the confidence needed to achieve more challenging goals in the future as well.
- Fitness – Participating in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu will improve the overall fitness level of people who attend class regularly. People engage in a series of conditioning, stretching and strengthening exercises as part of their regular training. The program is designed to be progressive so each student progresses at their own speed. Consistent training produces better muscle tone, strength, and flexibility. Benefits derived from training include a lower percentage of body fat, increased energy, and enthusiasm for physical activity.
- Self-Esteem – People develop enhanced self-esteem as an outcome of consistent training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The success that one experience as part of their training builds a self-respect that translates into self-esteem. They learn to trust, respect, and like themselves for who they are. The self-esteem they develop is strong and durable because it is based on achievement. Enhanced self-esteem will impact positively on how they relate to others, authority, and themselves. One of the most consistent improvement for somebody training in BJJ is the development of positive self-esteem.
- Coordination – Brazilian Jiu Jitsu contains a progressive series of movements that improves the coordination of participants. Training in BJJ requires learning grappling techniques and putting them together in a string of movement. This combination develops both specific and sequential improvement in the coordination of the body. Through repetition, people practice single movements as well as combination’s, subsequently enhancing coordination through the development of mental pathways and muscle memory.
- Self-Defense – Although most students of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu do it for the sport, most learn valuable self-defense skills as well. People training in BJJ not only learn how to defend themselves in various situations but develop the confidence that helps them to avoid many of the bully traps. People trained in the grappling arts learn how to avoid, evade, and escape from many physical confrontations so common. Self-defense is only one of the many benefits of BJJ, but it is a valuable benefit none the less.
What is MMAX BJJ?
MMAX BJJ is KMAA’s unique brand of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fundamentals. In this class we take you from white belt to blue belt without throwing you into the deep waters of having to wrestle / roll with a lot of higher belts. This class is the perfect class for someone who is looking to get started training, but not interested in being a “grappling dummy” for the more advanced students.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Coaches