Studies show that children who train in Martial Arts have greater success in life. Let us show you why an investment in your child’s future is money well spent!
At KMAA, we use the revolutionary Play As the Way TM method which allows kids to learn in their most effective medium: Play! And while we believe that high quality professional martial arts techniques are the bedrock of our system (and of KMAA’s competitive successes) we believe that children have special opportunity to learn more than just fighting techniques. In every class children will engage in exercise, martial arts techniques such as punching, kicking and wrestling and, perhaps most importantly, learn important life skills which will shape their future in a positive way.
The Ten Benefits of Children’s Martial Arts
- Self-Control – We teach that self-control is controlling both what you do and what you say. We believe that strong Self-control skills help people resist doing things that may be harmful to themselves and others. For us, Self-control is the most important tool in staying safe and being successful.
- Confidence – Children learn that true confidence comes from yourself, that is acquired only when you have done your best in a situation (regardless of how that situation turns out) and that having confidence is demonstrated through sitting, standing and speaking with confidence.
- Responsibility and Consequences – Children are taught that Responsibility and Consequences go hand in hand. Responsibility is when a person does what they are supposed to do and a consequence is the result of what they do and what they say. Our children learn that they are responsible for whatever consequences result from their actions.
- Critical Thinking Skills – The mind is the most powerful tool that a person has and we believe that helping children use their mind to it’s full capacity is a great way of helping them become strong, independent leaders. Thinking and problem solving are skill that are rarely taught, but with practice every problem becomes a game that children love solving.
- Cooperation – Cooperation is a great way to solve problems and resolve conflicts. Teaching children the value of cooperation not only helps them learn to get along on the playground, but also equips them for a lifetime of success since cooperation skills are necessary in both business and personal relationships.
- Listening Skills– Listening to what others have to say involves far more than your ears. Communication is a total body experience, so learning skills that help people truly “listen” will enable them to be happier, healthier and more successful.
- Respect– Treating other people the way that you would want to be treated is one of the most important rules we teach at KMAA. We believe that hurting other people ultimately hurts us all.
- Diversity – Martial arts teaches us that diversity is a wonderful thing. Classes are full of boys and girls, short and tall, very young and pre-teens, however martial arts teaches us that the outside, what we look like, matters so much less than what is on the inside, our minds/our spirits/our souls.
- Community – Children need to know that they are cared for in their lives. We believe that communities, like families, can be many sizes and made up of all sorts of people. We teach our children to see our martial arts class as a community of people who care about each child individually
- Excellence – Children learn that excellence comes not from always winning, but from refusing to give up when we fail. We believe that teaching children to do their best at all times gives them the power to achieve whatever goals they set for their lives.
We are proud of the positive impact we have had in our young student’s lives and always a little amazed at the confident young men and women they flourish into.
What is MMAX Youth?
MMAX Youth is KMAA’s MMA-oriented classes for children ages 5-12. We teach them effective striking, grappling, and important life-skills such as confidence, leadership, and discipline. This class will have your children sweating, smiling, and learning the whole class period and will ensure that the investment you make in their martial arts training will continue to pay off long after the have stopped being in class. Come learn why KMAA is Knoxville’s oldest MMA gym, with a history of teaching children that stretches back more than 20 years!